Keep up to date with the latest news and announcements relating to Council’s projects and services. Please contact Council if the information you require is not displayed.
Whitsunday Regional Council today adopted the Corporate Plan 2014-2019 entitled Whitsunday2020.
Mayor Jenny Whitney said the plan has been developed following extensive consultation with the Whitsunday community, over a number of months.
“Whitsunday 2020 sets out Council’s strategic objectives for the next five years and provides aplatform from which Council’s performance can be measured,” Mayor Whitney said.
“We are committed to delivering on the objectives of Whitsunday 2020 which identifies the fourcentral themes of governance and leadership, people, place and prosperity as our priorities.
“These themes also reflect Council’s continuing commitment to providing open, accountable andtransparent local government; deliver services that meet our community’s expectations; achieve a balance between accommodating a rapidly growing population with preserving our unique natural environment; and build a strong, innovative and diverse economy,” she said.
With a strong focus on economic development the seven strategic priorities identified in the planare:
1. Advocate for implementation of the Bruce Highway Action Plan
2. Develop the Whitsunday Coast International Export Hub as a significant transport and exportshub and regional economic driver
3. Advocate for the construction of the Urannah Dam and improvements to the Burdekin Falls Dam
4. Advocate for the establishment of a base load power station at Collinsville and alternativeenergy sources
5. Advocate for the continued development of the Port of Abbot Point and the Abbot Point StateDevelopment Area
6. Advocate for the establishment of an integrated resort and casino development within theWhitsunday region
7. Advocate for the growth of the agriculture, horticulture and seafood sectors for expanding export opportunities
“During the development of the plan Council undertook significant engagement with government,industry, business and the community with over 500 local residents participating in theengagement process.
“I thank all residents, businesses and industry stakeholders who contributed to the development of Whitsunday 2020 and the Council staff involved in its preparation,” she said.
For media enquiries, contact:Kate Lennox, Communications ManagerPhone: 07 4945 0614, 0427 458 369 or Email: email@example.com